British Antarctic Survey (BAS) is looking for an exceptional Second Chef to join the crew of the RRS Sir David Attenborough. BAS delivers and enables world-leading interdisciplinary research in the Polar Regions. We employ experts from many different professions to carry out our Science as well as keep the lights on, feed the research and support teams and keep everyone safe!
Working at BAS is rewarding. Our skilled science, operational and support staff based in Cambridge, Antarctica and the Arctic, work together to deliver research that uses the Polar Regions to advance our understanding of Earth as a sustainable planet. Through our extensive logistic capability and know how BAS facilitates access for the British and international science community to the UK polar research operation. Numerous national and international collaborations, combined with an excellent infrastructure help sustain a world leading position for the UK in Antarctic affairs. British Antarctic Survey is a component of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), which is part of UK Research and Innovation www.ukri.org
As a valued member of our team, you’ll be eligible for the following benefits:
- Generous benefit pension scheme
- Comprehensive sick pay coverage
- During Antarctic deployment all food, accommodation and polar clothing are provided
- Employer discount scheme on a range of travel gifts and leisure
- Support for further tickets/training courses
You’ll be joining our close knit team of the RRS Sir David Attenborough as it carries out scientific research across the polar regions. The ship is world leading in its scientific capabilities and regularly carries out science trials across the world with a driven focus on the Antarctic regions.
You’ll help us to deliver delicious meals to the rest of the crew. You will act as an assistant and understudy of the chief cook preparing meals to the requirements of the Chief Cook and Purser.
Within the role, there will be an opportunity to develop role specific skills to compliment your time on the ship. There will also be standard training provided that is specially developed for Polar travel.
You’ll be joining a world-leading interdisciplinary research organisation, that is committed to recruiting talented people like you, progressing your career and giving you the support, you need to thrive at BAS.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- To prepare meals, bread and pastries to the requirements of the Chief Cook and Purser.
- To make optimum use of provisions available.
- To assist the Chief Cook as required.
- To ensure safe working conditions in all galley and stores areas at all times.
- To ensure the wearing of clean and suitable cooks clothing.
For the role of Second Chef we are looking for someone who has:
- MLC Ship’s Cook Certificate of Competency 1
- Award in Food Safety in Catering Level 2 (MCA Recognised)
- Seafarer Medical Certificate (ENG1) without restrictions
- Four Elements of STCW basic training to STCW 2010, as amended (PST, FPFF, EFA & PSSR)
- STCW Proficiency in Medical First Aid 2
If we’ve just described you, we’d love to hear from you. Apply now at bas.ac.uk/vacancies.
What experiences can we offer you?
At BAS we believe everyone plays a vital role, is unique and valued, therefore, we embrace diversity as well as equality of opportunity and are committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming working environment where everyone’s unique perspectives are valued.
Different perspectives and collaborative working help us achieve our best work and come together to form a high performing team which makes positive changes in the business. That’s the power of every individual. Our cultural values are built on mutual respect, inclusion, commitment and excellence.
If you are looking for an opportunity to work with world class and amazing people in one of the most unique places in the world, then British Antarctic Survey could be for you.