- Education and training
- General secretary message
- Health and safety
- Members at work
- Nautilus news
- Nautilus partnerships
- Open days
- United Kingdom
The European Transport Workers' Federation is helping to make the Just Transition a reality with a new guide called the ETF Climate Change Toolkit for Transport Trade Unions.
The aim is to raise awareness among ETF affiliate unions of climate change as a core trade union issue – something which is already informing the work of Nautilus.
The Just Transition is a concept developed by the international and European trade union movements and recognised by the 2015 Paris Agreement, where it is stated that policy implementation should take into account 'the imperatives of a just transition of the workforce and the creation of decent work and quality jobs'.
However, ensuring workers are treated fairly in the move to greener fuels can be easier said than done. That's why the ETF has produced its toolkit to help unions fight for members' rights. The toolkit includes:
- background information on the science behind global warming and links for deeper digging into the topic
- an introduction to European Union (EU) climate policies and the role of transport in global warming
- an overview of EU policies on decarbonising transport, including information on EU funding possibilities for the Just Transition
- examples of good practice such as the French climate and resilience law, in particular regarding its obligation for social dialogue at company level on environmental issues
- proposals for decarbonising the rail, road, shipping and aviation sectors, assessing the possible impact on transport workers' jobs and working conditions
- recommendations for trade union action and a checklist for trade union activists and workers' representatives at company level